Pages

Saturday, December 24, 2011

We have a Christmas Eve tradition in our family.  Wait... how many years does it take to make something a tradition?  Two?  Five?  I guess if you have kids, then it's a tradition if you do it more than once, even if by accident.  Like, say, you have spagetti for dinner the night before their birthday two years in a row.  Not on purpose, but suddenly it's a tradition that can't be broken and heaven forbid you try to have tacos the next year.  Not that I'd know anything about that.

Anyhow, our pseudo tradition is one that I don't really want to keep up.  It's that someone is sick on Christmas Eve.  Last year it was the oldest, who had the flu and kept throwing up, but was recovered in time to open presents on Christmas.  This year it's me.  Does it make me a bad parent to wish it were them?  I mean really, what do they have to do today?  Despite feeling like I've been run over with a truck I've still managed to get the dogs from the kennel (we were gone for a few days and got home last night at midnight), go to the grocery store, make lunch, clean the house, and wrap a crapload of presents today.  Still haven't managed a shower yet, but it's only 2:40 so there's still time. 

Right now I'm going to take a break.  Have some tea, which will hopefully clear out my head so I can breathe because I'm partial to getting air in my lungs, and catch up on the football scores.  We've already decided to forego the Christmas Eve dinner (I am SO not up to cooking that tonight) and just have pizza instead.  I'm pretty sure the kids will appreciate that.

No comments:

Post a Comment